According to the tradition , the name of this town,after which the district itself is
named was GIRZAPUR , which in terms derives its name from the goddess Parvati
(Girija) who sacrificed hersel here in a vajna.Mirza, Vindhyavasini ,and Lakshmi are
the other names of the goddess whose temple exists at Vindhyachal .The present
name of the district is derived from goddess Lakshmi who emerged from the sea .
The word Mirza is formed from two words ; Mir meaning sea and ja meaning
outcome , with the additional pur standing for town. It is also locally believed that
the town was founded by raja Nanner and was known as Girijapur,but later on it
came to know as Mirzapur . The earliest mention of the town is found in the writings
of Tieffenthaler,who drew up his description of the country between 1760 and 1770 .
He mentioned it, under the name of Mirzapur specially as a great mart. In the
records of Jonathan Duncan,who was resident of Varanasi,frequent mention is made
of the place as Mirzapur.